Getting Ahead in a Just-Gettin'-By World
Getting Ahead provides people in poverty with the information needed to end their poverty cycle by putting the concepts, tools, and relationships in the hands of people in poverty to make a difference in their own lives and in the life of their community.
The Getting Ahead curriculum:
- Involves rigorous work done in a safe learning environment with the support of an experienced facilitator and co-facilitator.
- Enables participants, called “investigators,” to examine their own experience of poverty as well as explore issues in the community that impact poverty − banking, housing, jobs, transportation − providing critical information the community can use to take action to end poverty.
- Guides investigators through an assessment of their own resources and how to build those resources as part of their move to self-sufficiency.
Getting Ahead workshops can be offered by community collaboratives, social service organizations, educational institutions, governmental entities, and businesses – any organization with an interest in helping its clients, employees, or community members move from poverty to self-sufficiency.
93% of investigators feel that Getting Ahead has been helpful for their lives. When asked to identify the five most important aspects of the workshops to them, they said:
- developing a plan for building resources,
- learning how to build resources,
- having good facilitators,
- completing the self-assessment,
- feeling welcomed and comfortable in the group.
We have trained facilitators ready to start a group for your clients at your location or ours. Cost varies depending on size and location. Call or email us for a quote.